Sweet Potato Cottage Pie
- 500g Wild Range Organic Beef Mince
- 500g sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic finely sliced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup tomato puree
- Salt and pepper
- olive oil for cooking
Cottage pie is an easy family favourite, and a great way to get the kids in the kitchen. With so few ingredients, there is very little clean up afterwards and even youngest family members can get involved peeling carrots and mashing potatoes. For a twist on the classic recipe, and a great big boost of vitamin C, we have used sweet potato to top.
- Preheat oven to 180'C
- Boil the sweet potatoes for around 10 minutes until tender. Drain and mash
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Add olive oil, onions and garlic. Sauté for 3 minutes until onions are soft and translucent. Add the butter and mash by hand or in a mixer. Season well and set aside.
- Add the beef mince and fry until browned and all juices have reduced. Add the thyme.
- Add the tomato puree, carrots, salt and pepper and 1/2 cup water. Allow to simmer until water has reduced (around 30 minutes). Stir through the peas.
- Spoon the mince into an ovenproof dish.
- Spoon the mashed sweet-potato on top of the savoury mince until entirely covered by a blanket of mashed potato.
- Bake for around 15 minutes until the potato turns golden and crisps on top.