Rib-eye Steak with Mushroom sauce
- 1 rib-eye steak (700g)
- 250g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 small bunch of fresh thyme, stripped of stalks and chopped
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 cup double cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
This rich and creamy mushroom sauce paired with a succulent rib-eye steak makes the perfect dinner for two. Pair with a good red wine.
- Remove the steak from the fridge 30 minutes before cooking, salt and allow it to come to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Place a large oven-safe frying pan over high heat until very hot but not smoking.
- Coat the steak in 1 tbsp of olive oil and salt and pepper and add to the pan. Cook for 7 minutes, turning continuously so that the meat browns and doesn’t burn.
- Finish in the oven for 15-20 minutes for medium rare.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the mushrooms
- Heat a pan on medium heat. Add the butter, mushrooms, garlic and thyme. Sauté for 3-4 minutes until the mushrooms are browned.
- Remove from the heat and add the cream.
- Once the steak is ready, remove from the pan and rest well. Deglaze the pan with the chicken stock and add to the creamy mushroom sauce.
- Slice the steak against the grain and spoon over the mushroom sauce. Serve with boiled new potatoes and a garden salad.